Thursday, August 7, 2008

Frankie goes to Bollywood...

On the flight over, I was wondering about what I could to with my spare time to get a bit involved with the local Culture. As luck would have it, the day Ciena (the company I'm consulting to) activated my work e-mail account, there was an e-mail about weekly dance classes starting today. It was truly serendipitous.

So I wasn't sure what to expect, but hey, I like to dance, so I showed up at the games room at the appointed time. So it turns out we're doing a series of choreographed danced movies based on the song from a curent Bollywood flick, "Bachna ae Haseeno". The choreography is very much like a Broadway musical. If you've taken western dance, like waltz, or swing, you know that if you know a few dances, there is a lot of overlap. This was something totally different. A lot of moves that everyone was familiar with (in movies) except me.

Here in India, the whole John Travolta point your finger up in one direction, then down at the floor in another, is considered one of a number of very cool moves. I can't wait until I return to Calgary, so I can bust out these moves when they play "Bachna ae Hasseno" at The Warehouse!

No comments: