Sunday, August 17, 2008

Agra and the Taj Mahal

This morning I arrived at Steve and Tyler's Hotel at 6AM for our trip to Agra. Steve unfortunately came down with something, so it was down to Tyler and I. Ciena provided them with a car and driver, so we made use of it to do the 200 km trip to Agra, which on Indian highways takes four hours.

We started off by going to the Tomb of Akbar the Great, which is an impressive piece of Mughal Architecture built of red sandstone and inlaid with white marble, and built between 1605-1613.

We then headed off to the Taj Mahal, perhaps one of the most iconic structures on the planet. The gauntlet between the parking lot and entrance is the most unappealing part of Agra, having to relentlessly dodge touts and tour guides, but we were through it quick enough.

I vividly remember the first time I came here two years ago. I figured I had to see the place since I was here, but I had already pre-judged that it was an overrated tourist trap, and was quite ready to diss it. Then when I walked though the main gate and beheld it for the first time, I was totally blown away as the the Taj smacked me upside the head with its palpable splendour. This time, the effect wasn't the same, since I knew what to expect, but it did not disappoint either.

It's one of those place whose presence you just cannot capture with a photograph. What makes it so incredible is that it is impressive at all scales of perception. From the majestic layout of the courtyard, to the stunning white marble construction of the buildings, to the detailed inlay work on all the marble surfaces with semi-precious stones, it is a coherent statement of extravagance and attention to detail.

Following this, be began our drive back to Delhi. It began to rain again, and halfway through the drive back I really began to wish we were back already, as I didn't know how much longer my nerves would be able to take the constant 'close calls' on the highway traffic. It got to the point where I couldn't look forwards anymore. I had to look sideways, or close my eyes, or 'disconnect' with my MP3 player and go to my happy place. But since you're reading this, you know we made it back in one piece.

No comments: